So, the 5th graders got one more dose of street art in their art curriculum this year:)
The students thought those dudes were pretty interesting. And pretty weird. I showed them a number of his more current pieces and emphasized how Barry creates a lot of unity in his work through repetition.
I did this project with two of my 5th grade classes. Each of the classes created a large collaborative drawing based on Barry's use of pattern and portraits. Each of the students was responsible for at least a pattern in the final design. If they wanted to include a portrait into their drawing I encouraged them to do so.
One class did their drawings on all white paper. The other did their patterns on black paper and portraits on white. I wanted the 2 final pieces to contrast in terms of base value. As students finished up with their drawings they brushed multi-media varnish on the back and then placed them on a large canvas.
Once the assembled drawings were totally dry I went in with scissors and and an x-acto blade and removed the extra canvas around and in between the pieces. I brushed a clear varnish over them as well. The clear varnish removed some of the color intensity on the black paper one. I should have tested it on a small piece before jumping in. Lesson learned...
Overall though, I think they came out pretty interesting. We are hanging our big student show this week and next, so I will have to post a couple pics of these in "exhibition context".